20100810

Possible application into architecture./Urban poor, Yogyakarta Indonesia


The goal of my proposal in Design proposal for Yogyakaruta, Indonesia is to improve the quality of life of urban poor, so it could be activism. I would like to develop Smith’s research from the field of social science to architecture. I try to think of my architectural design as social activity rather than a concrete structure. Kurokawa aims to contribute to society by architecture, but I think his architecture is not tool of social activity but only result. I think the process of architecture should be considered carefully, because I support Travers’ discussion that process is highly important for social research as activism. Even though Kurokawa describes “architecture is not permanent art, but rather something that grows towards the future” in the concept of metabolism, the way of growing is highly authorized by Kurokawa. think this process is too singular to be accepted by current society, because the postmodern perspective has emphasized people’s differences. So I think passing the process of growing architecture to community’s hand is more suitable and acceptable. Therefore, in my opinion, architecture (as a result) proposed by architect might be very minimized, but it should stimulate involving local people or community into process of architecture. Involving community into architectural or urban planning processes such as collecting data of the area, analysis of various contexts of local life, design, construction, using, examining and modifying space, could be work as social activity. Same as Smith who expects the process of her social research will work as education or healing, I expect the process of architecture could give community opportunity to notice, learn and consider their living environment. If people learn from this project and use it to build or repair their housing, it could address some of the problems of urban poor in Yogyakarta that was produced by informal settlement without knowledge or planning. It could also address the improvement of their quality of life.

Epistemology is valid in Design proposal for Indonesia because it is hard to learn without knowledge about urban poor at Yogyakarta as I have never been to the site and I am not familiar with any culture, social life, climate, political matter and so on. Methodology is important. What method do I use in research or design process effect result. To avoid same mistake as modernism or postmodernism, it is better to use and combine two different methods which have opposite view points, into my own architectural research. Urban poor can be examined by objective and subjective. For example, the problems of physical environment like housing, infrastructure are objective matters. There may be subjective matter too. I need to research site by emancipatory viewpoint. I think I have to address both issues by architectural solution.









Groat, Linda and David Wang. Architectural Research Methods. John Wiley & Sons, INC, 2002: PP21-43.
Kurokawa, Kisho. “From the age of Machine to Age of Life”. I’ARCA, International magazine of architecture and design, 219 no.1 (2006): PP2-11.
Robinson, Julia W. “Architectural research: Incorporating Myth and Science”. Journal of Architectural Education, 44 no.1 (1990): PP20-32.
Travers, Ann. “Postmodern Research, Postmodern Practice: Studying the Barriers to Cyberliteracy Among Mentally Disabled Women”. Sociological Practice: A Journal of Clinical and Applied Sociology, vol.4 no.4 (2002): PP279-291.



No comments:

Post a Comment