20100827

“Is There Research in the Studio?”

Review of “Is There Research in the Studio?”

In my opinion, research should examine the fact, give us new finding, explain it clearly and logically, and expand our knowledge. I think the research studios help us to understanding the city or architectural thought but didn’t produce new knowledge. In my opinion, these research studios are like communication tool rather than research.

Same as the Eames’ film. I do not agree the film is research. I have watched Eames’ film ‘Power of Ten’ that Varnelis states as the best analogy for research studio. I felt the film shows the new images of the world which I do not imagine in ordinary life. The film gives us new awareness but does not have new findings. It is a specious idea that the film is research simply because it helps us to re-imagine the world. I do not think the film expands our knowledge even though I think the film could be architectural but not research.

According to Varnelis, new “projective architecture” against criticality and theories over last decade. Therefore, the research studios have become common. I think if the project doesn’t engaged with theory or criticality, it may no be called as research. In conclude, “research studio” could be new way of architectural communication but not research.



Varnelis, Kazys. “Is There Research in the Studio? ”.  Journal of Architectural Education. (2007): PP11-14.

No comments:

Post a Comment