20120702

imaging people’s dreams./いまごろ、どんな夢をみているのだろう

Daniel has been reading books on the red couch this evening. He complained about his blanket which somehow came out from its cover, while he was reading a book written by Leopoldo Lugones, an Argentinian writer whom I have never read. He moved his body under a naked blanket, as if he is a larva making  its cocoon shell. His long body doesn’t fit on the red couch, so his feet are lying over the armrest of the couch on to another. I can see the crumpled sheets which had slipped off from the blanket are now at his feet on the grey couch.  There are cigarettes, cigarette papers, filters and a thick book written by Marcel Proust on the floor. Daniel now reads this heavy-looking book written in French. À la recherche du temps perdu -In Search of Lost Time’ is as thick as his French dictionary.  It must be hard work for him to read such a huge book in his second language, but he says he is enjoying reading it. 
While I am writing these few sentences, he seems to have fallen asleep. I am imagining what kind of dream he is now having. I guess his brain may be interweaving a story of Lugones and Proust in the scenery of a mixture of Latin America and France.  

‘When he sleeps, he is asleep.’ I murmured. I learned this new word ‘asleep’ from him today, however, I have just noticed I am supposed to know this word. Fitzgerald seems to prefer to use ‘asleep’ rather than ‘sleep’ in ‘The Great Gatsby’, the book which I have been reading these days. I guess I always read ‘asleep’ as ‘sleep’ so I didn’t know the word ‘asleep’ until Daniel mentioned it.  How careless my reading style is! I think I’m reading books less careful than Daniel who always uses a dictionary. There is no Japanese-English dictionary around me. I spent this rainy cold day reading books like him though. I read ‘Damien’ written by Hermann Hesse in Japanese translation and ‘The Great Gatsby’ in English. It’s an amazing combination to read. I feel that ‘Damien’ is a dark and deep, thought provoking novel, on the other hand, Fitzgerald’s novel is light and comfortable. It’s like winter and spring. Jumping between Japanese and English didn’t make me tired. Gatsby was very sweet in my dream last night.

By the way, the Gatsby’s name is ‘Jay Gatsby’. Jay is the same name as another of my housemates. I hope he is now asleep in his bed, because I believe he needs rest. Jay looked really sick today. His eyes were red and wet as if he had just been crying. Poor Jay. I hope he will be fine soon. Jay doesn’t seem very interested in reading books. He loves listing music and playing video games. I can’t imagine what kind of dream he has. The dream might be full of music. Come to think of it, I have never had a dream with music.

Listening to the sound of rain, thinking about books, and imaging people’s dreams, is a great way to spend a night peacefully. I hope no one minds that I’m guessing their dream.


赤いソファの上で本を読み耽っているのはダニエル。今夜の本はアルゼンチンの作家レオポルド・ルゴネスのもの。わたしはまだルゴネスの本を読んだことはない。ダニエルは本を読みながら掛け布団についてぶつぶつ文句を言いっては、もぞもぞ動いている。背の高いダニエルがねっころがるには赤いソファひとつじゃたりなくって、ソファの腕掛けから足がはみ出てとなりの灰色のソファにまでおよんでいるのだが、その足元に布団カバー(シーツ)がくしゃくしゃっと丸まっており、むき出しになってしまった白い掛け布団につつまれながら「なんでこのシーツはどんどん剥がれていくんだ。いらいらする…。いやなシーツだな…」とつぶやいている。繭を紡ぐ幼虫のように、くねくねとむき出しの白い布団の下で動いているのを横目に、わたしは日記を書いている。床に散らばるのは、刻み煙草のはいった袋に、煙草のためのまき紙にフィルター、フランス語の辞書に、マルセル・プルーストの分厚い本だ。ダニエルは今、ルゴネスを英語で読むのと平行して、この重たそうなプルーストの本をフランス語で読みすすめている。「A la Recherche du Temps Perdu」日本語のタイトルだと「失われた時を求めて」。プルースト一世一代の大作だ。フランス語ー英語の辞書と同じくらいの厚さがある。第二言語のフランス語でこの本を読むのは大変にちがいないのだけど、ダニエルにいわせれば、ものすごく楽しいことらしい。
と、ここまで書いたところで顔を上げたら、目を閉じているダニエルが目に入った。本を読んでいたはずのダニエルはいつの間にか眠りに落ちていしまったようだ。いったいどんな夢をみているのだろう。南アメリカとフランスの入り混じった世界のでルゴネスとプルーストとの物語を紡ぎあげているのだろうか。

なんとはなしにつぶやいてみる。「When he sleeps, he is asleep.」今日ダニエルから教わった言葉だ。動詞のsleepはよく使うけど、形容詞のasleepは今まで使ったことのない新しい単語だ。知らない単語を教わった気でいたけど、ほんとうは、すでに知っているべき単語だったのだと、あとで気がついた。なにしろ、ここのところわたしが英語で読んでいる本グレート・ギャツビー」のなかで、著者フィッツジェラルドはsleepではなくasleepを好んで使っているなのだ。わたしはasleepという単語が出てくるたびに、それを毎回sleepとして認識していたということだ。ダニエルに指摘されるまで気がつかなくて。だから「he was sleep」なんて間違いを平気でしてしまっていたのだ。どれだけ適当に、勢いだけで本を読んでいるのか、を思い知らされたきぶんだ。フランス語の辞書を片手に本をよみすすめるダニエルに比べると、わたしったら、ずいぶんいいかげんに本を読んでるんだろうなぁ。今夜はわたしもダニエルと同じくリビングルームで読書してすごしていたというのに、この部屋にあるのはダニエルの英仏辞書だけで、日英辞書も英英辞書もみあたらない。どうも辞書をひきながら小説を読むっていうのが性にあわないみたい。雨のしとしとふる冷え込んだ夜、ソファの上で毛布にくるまりながらの読書にわたしの選んだ本は、日本語に翻訳されたヘルマン・ヘッセの「デミアン」と、原作の英語でフランシス・スコット・キー・フィッツジェラルドのグレート・ギャツビー」。この二冊って一緒に読むには、いい組み合わせ、な気がする。「デミアン」はどこか重苦しく、心の底に深くもぐっていくようで、一方のフィッツジェラルドは軽やかで心地よいかんじだ。冬と春、みたいな。英語と日本語の間を行き来しながらの読書だと、あんまり疲れることなく読み続けられるし。そうそう、きのうの夜の夢にギャツビーがでてきたんだけど、なんだかすごーくあまい感じだった。ギャツビー素敵。

ところで、ギャツビーは、ジェイ・ギャツビーっていう名前なんだけど、ジェイってハウスメイトと同じ名前。ダニエルとは別のわたしのハウスメイトね。いまごろベッドでちゃんと寝てるといいんだけど…。だって、今日はジェイ一日中ひどい顔してた、って言うと怒られちゃうんだけど、実際、おでこもほっぺも真っ赤で、目も充血しててその上うるんでて、まるでついさっきまで泣いてたみたいな、そんな顔をしてたの。典型的な、風邪ひきの顔。ほんとにかわいそうになるくらい、つらそうだった。働き者のジェイには、ゆっくり休養をとって、しっかりからだを治してほしいものだ。ジェイはダニエルやわたしと違ってあんまり読書には興味はないみたいだ。時間のあるときは音楽を聴くか、オンラインゲームをしているか。そんな彼はいったいどんな夢をみてるんだろうか。うまく想像ができない。音楽で満ちた夢なのかな、そういえば音楽のある夢って、わたし、みたことないなぁ。

雨の音を聞きながら、本のことを考えて、ハウスメイトがそれぞれ、どんな夢をみてるんだろうかとあれこれ想像をふくらます。なんとも穏やかな、いい夜のすごし方だ。わたしはそんな時間が好きだ。って、こんな風に勝手にひとのみてる夢に思いをめぐらせてることで、怒らなきゃいいけど、わたしのハウスメイトたち。気にしないでね。

No comments:

Post a Comment