20110922

story of the bluestone rock cliff and duck-rabbit. / あひるうさぎと碧い岩壁のはなし



Discovering the rock cliff at salamanca courtyard
It was a dramatic and romantic meeting. I will always remember the moment the rough surface of the bluestone cliff suddenly appeared in front of me at the end of the dark and narrow corridor. The primitive rock surface covered with weeds and flowers absolutely fascinated me. The important point was that I was not walking through a wilderness forest, but lively Salamanca where small shops overcrowd each other. I was between heritage buildings, so it was not expected that I feel the sense of wilderness. In addition, the tiny courtyard was full of people and vibrant with life. The rock wall acted as the perfect backdrop for the band, and people were enjoying the music under the plants living within the cracks of the rock. I was overwhelmed with the beauty and liveliness of the space. This was one of the most impressive experiences of my first week of staying in Hobart, Tasmania.

Hobart and me
Hobart is a new city to me, as I have been living in Launceston since I came from Japan two and a half years ago. When I decided to come and stay in Hobart to partake in the research project during the summer break, I only knew that Hobart was the biggest city in Tasmania, that the popular Salamanca Market was held every Saturday and that the waterfront is a beautiful place to walk. My research partner, Raja, comes from Malaysia, so is also an out-of- towner. Neither of us knew anything about Hobart, and we often got lost in the Hobart CBD. Our Hobart urban life was full of surprise, wonder and excitement.

Hidden Rivulet forming the urban landscape
The first day of the research project at the OSA -Office of the State Architect -was unforgettable. Alysia who works at the oOSA took Raja and I for a walk around the Hobart CBD. Her walking path was very dynamic, free from the tidy city grid, unlike our own. The organic shapes of arcades and laneways from Centrepoint to the Cat and Fiddle Arcade to Wellington Walk promote different walking paths from the edge of the city block in the tidy city grid. It seemed like great architectural planning – however, it was actually formed by the path of the Hobart Rivulet.

It is the Quarry – but not wild nature
One day, when I was talking about the rock cliff face with excitement, Peter, the state architect told me that the rock cliff was actually not natural, but was man made. He said that it was in fact a Quarry. At first I couldn’t believe nor did I understand that the rock was man made because it felt wild and natural – I was shocked.

Duck-rabbit illusion
After Peter told me that the rock cliff at Salamanca was the Quarry, not only did my understanding and image of Hobart city change, but also the concept of the city and landscape became something new. It is similar feeling to Kuhn’s duck-rabbit opitical illusion. He uses it to demonstrate the way in which a paradigm shift could cause one to see the same information in an entirely different way. Such a paradigm shift occurred within my mind.

Man dominates nature or nature dominates city?
This is the moment something in my mind started to change. I questioned my- self: Why I was so impressed by the rock cliff? Why did I feel as if the rivulet was romantic? I started to wonder about the concept of wild nature and man made environment. I was not sure who actually dominated the form of the city and landscape - man or nature? I feel that Hobart city has the potential to have strong characteristics of connections with nature, but what does “nature” mean?





This essay is the introduction of "SPECULATE"
which is corroborative ADR(Advanced Design Research) report 
with OSA;Office of State Architect. 



岩壁との出会い。サラマンカの中庭で。
ロマンチックでドラマチック、そう、衝撃的な出会いだった。狭く暗い道をとおりぬけたあと、荒々しい青い岩肌が突然目の前に現れたあの瞬間を私は忘れることができないでいる。なんとも原始的な力強いその岩肌は、そのところどころを草花に覆われ、そして私を魅了した。だいじなポイントは、私はけっして森の中を歩いていたわけではなく、小さなお店が肩をならべひしめきあっている賑やかなサラマンカ(タスマニア、ホバートにある地区)を歩いていたということだ。古い石造りの歴史的建造物の建ちならぶなか、原生的な自然を感じることになるなんて、どうして予想できようか。その小さな中庭は多くの人と活気に満ちていた。切り立った岩壁は最高のバックステージとしてバンドの演奏に華を添え、そして人々は岩の小さな亀裂に生える植物の下で音楽を楽しんでいた。その空間の圧倒的な美しさと熱気といったら!タスマニアの州都ホバート滞在一週目の、最も忘れがたく印象的なできごとだった。

ホバートと私
二年半前に日本からタスマニアに移ってきて以来ずっとわたしはロンセストンという町に住んでいる。そのため、私にとってのホバートはまったく新しい町だった。夏休みの間の研究プロジェクトに加わるためホバート滞在が決まったとき、私がホバートについて知っていることと言えば、タスマニアのなかで一番大きな町であること、毎週土曜日にひらかれるサラマンカマーケットはすごく人気であること、それから、水辺の景色が綺麗でお散歩するのにもってこいであるということ。それだけだ。私の研究パートナーであるラジャはマレーシア出身。したがって彼女も私と同じく「よそもの」である。二人ともホバート地理にあかるくなく、おかげでよく迷子になった。私の夏休みのホバート生活は、驚きと、不思議、興奮でいっぱいのものとなった。

都市を形づくる隠された小川の存在
タスマニア州立建築家(公務員建築家)のオフィス(OSAと呼ぶ)での研究プロジェクトの初日も忘れがたいものがある。OSAで働くアリシアはラジャと私を町歩きに連れ出してくれた。アリシアの選ぶ道、歩いた道は、きちきちとした都市のグリッドから解き放たれ、自由でダイナミックだ。街区にそって、つまりしかくいブロックのふちを歩いていた私とは大違い。アリシアとの散歩は、センターポイントからキャットアンドフィドルアーケードを抜けウェリントンウォークまで、商店街や小さな抜け道、ビルの隙間をくぐっていくようにして、オーガニックな軌跡をえがく。歩くことが楽しくなるような道。もしかしてこの道は、素晴らしい都市計画、都市デザインのひとつなのではと感嘆のため息を漏らしていると、アリシアは衝撃の事実を私に伝えた。この都市景観はホバートにながれる小さな川によって形成されたというのだ。ホバートの秘密を知り、私の心臓がとくとくと早く脈をうちはじめた。

石切り場。原生自然ではなく
ある日、OSAで、私は大興奮しながら件の青い岩壁の話をしていた。すると、それを聞いていた州立建築家のピーターは「ほんとうのところ、あれは自然じゃないんだよね。人工なんだよ。」と私に言うではないか。私が原生自然の香りを感じたあの岩肌は、自然の景色ではなく、石切り場だというのだ。サラマンカにたちならぶ石造りの建築群のその資材としての石を切り出したあとできた崖なのだ。そう耳にしたとき、にわかには信じられなかった、いや、理解できなかったという方が正しい。あの岩が人工?野性的な自然だって感じたあの岩が?ショックだった。

アヒル - ウサギの錯覚
ピーターが、あのサラマンカの青い岩壁は自然の景色なのではなく実際は石切り場なのだと言ったあと、私のホバートについてのイメージが変わっただけでなく、都市や風景の概念までなにか新しく見えだした。それは、まるでトーマス・クーンのアヒル - ウサギをみたときのような感覚。クーンは一つの同じ情報をみていてもまったく違う見方をすることができるということをアヒル - ウサギをつかってしめし、パラダイムシフトについて説明をした。パラダイムシフトとは、当然のことと考えられていた認識や思想、見方、常識、価値観などが革命的に劇的に変化することを言う。そう、そのパラダイムシフトが私の中でおこりはじめていたのだ。

人間が自然を支配しているのか?自然が都市を支配しているのか?
私の考えが変わり始めた瞬間だった。私は自分自身に問いかけて見た。どうして私はあの岩壁にあんなにも感動したのだろう。小川が都市を形成する話にうっとりとし、ロマンチックだわと感じたのはどうしてだろう。原生自然と、人工環境という概念そのものに疑問を持ちはじめた。そして、いったい何がこの都市の風景をかたちづくっているのか、人間なのか、それとも自然か。わたしにはよく分からなくなっていた。ホバート、この町は自然とのつながり方という面で強い個性をもつ可能性を秘めているんじゃないか、と思い初めていたのだが、しかし、いったい「自然」とはどういう意味なのだろう?なにをもって「自然」と呼べばいいのか?









このエッセイは
OSAタスマニア州立建築家(公務員建築家)のオフィスと共同の
アドバンスドデザイン研究の報告書である
"SPECULATE(思索)"という小冊子の
イントロダクション(前書き)として書いたものです。


No comments:

Post a Comment