20110922

GOING SOLO? ソロで(一人で)働く?




Polly McGee's speech "ARCHITECTS AS STARTUPS" inspired me.
Her energetic and powerful presentation about setting up in solo practice helped me to imagine my future clearer. I was motivated to start preparing to achive my future vision.

Polly; independent writer, editor, educationist and blogger, came to university of Tasmania for the FutureGrad Workshop on 16th September. The workshop was about alternative possible future career paths for architecture students. Big practice, small practice, or going to solo. Running own company or working as a solo. Working locally, nationally, or internationally. Polly gave us the idea of solo practice through the topics "Why would you do it?""What are the key risks to consider?" and "What are the mitigations?"


Although she showed so much risks to consider,  her story of going to solo was very attractive to me. I know I love to engaged people directly and closely.  In addition, I have specific area/field I has been interested in and I believe it have/ will have needs. Polly said that solo practice is one of the best ways to communicate to our generation, new needs and aesthetics. It also could create a niche firm and build a brand.
Business, cash flow or insurance could cause head ache on me. So, I tried to imagine my future case every time when she explain about methods of mitigations; "Work out what your strengths are, and look for partners with complimentary skills.""Partnerships are a great option for spreading the risk. Choose partners for your firm that create a supply chain, or work with others in related fields.""Understand you market: if you go niche, what are the needs of your clients, both in a design and relationship sense.""How will you communicate with them, what is your point of difference." etc.....

After all, I has been keen into going to solo from few years ago.
I would like to write down my future vision.  I think I'm going to be a solo designer and writer. The field I would work could be whole over the world. My design hopefully achieve sustainable architecture which could heal the environment and people. I also would like to tell stories about the design and people around the world by drawings and essays written in both of Japanese and English.  Do you think is it too dreamy?  I somehow think it is not impossible. Imagine how I will work 15-20 years later,.. it makes me so happy.

 I also have the idea of close future. I would like to work at architecture firm in Australia or Japan. I think working in Australia is better at this stage, for knowing australian architecture, having stronger connection with English speaker people and for improve my English especially writing. Beside architectural work I'm going to write down hips of essays and draw everyday. Hopefully I will be able to start my career as independent writer and illustrator about architecture within 5 years, it means before I will have baby. This is because I want to have both of my happy private life and my career.

I want to have my family and raise my future children like how my mother did for me. My mother was always with me in my childhood memories, and she was keen into children's education. To me, she is like a mother in "La Grenadière" -Pomegranate House written by Honoré de Balzac. That is my ideal mother I want to be. I guess solo practice arrow me to be with my future children during I'm working. I might be able to write down a essay when my future little kids taking nap. well... I don't know whether it really work as I have never have my children yet.


There are so many alternate career paths, but I believe there is no right answer. Nothing right and nothing wrong. I just need to do my best to grab chance/opportunity which might drive me better paths.

I would like to introduce some other Polly's advise.


"Use social media tools and work the free marketing and viral opportunities they present."
"Become an expert through blogging and tweeting, be an upstart startup."

"Get mentors, find the people in your industry that are living the dream and ask for their help."
"Look for market opportunities and follow your gut."
"Be in the right place, at the right time, and take a well calculated risk."

What I can do first is....I guess keep uploading this  blog :)
and be ready to grab opportunity. 











"ARCHITECTS AS STARTUPS; 起業家としての建築家" というポリーさんの講演は胸に響くものがあった。SOLO、一人でビジネスを始める、または運営することについてのポリーさんのエネルギッシュでパワフルなプレゼンテーションのおかげで、私は自分の将来の姿をよりはっきりと想像するようになった。おかげで私は、遠い将来のビジョンを思い描きながら、そのために今できることから今すぐに準備を始めなくては、と思うようになった。

9月16日、ものかき、編集者、教育者でありブロガーのポリーは、タスマニアの大学でひらかれたFutureGradワークショップのためにやって来た。建築学科の大学院にかよう学生のためのワークショップで、将来の仕事、キャリアに関するもの。大きな会社で働く、小さな会社で働く、それとも独立する。自分の会社を運営する、またはSOLO(一人で働く)になる。地元に密着して働く、国レベルの目線で働く、国際的に働く。たくさんの可能性があるが、そのなかで’ポリーは、SOLO(一人で働く)基本のイロハ"どうして一人で働くのか?""考慮すべきリスクは?""リスクを軽減するためには?"を話してくれた。


考慮すべきリスクが次から次へとあげられたが、それでもSOLO、一人で働いている彼女の話は私にとってとても魅力的でした。私は人とダイレクトにしかも、どっぷりしっかり関わることが好きなんです。そのうえ、私は自分の興味を持っている特定の分野、フィールドがはっきりしているし、そのニーズもあると思っている。だからポリーがSOLO(一人で働く)ことは、私たちの世代、新しいニーズや美学(信念)とつながるための、ひとつのベストな方法だと説明したとき、私はどきどきした。それからニッチなビジネスをつくり、自分のブランドを構築することもできる。
一方で、ビジネス、キャッシュフローや保険についてのことを考えると、どうも私は頭痛をおこしそうになる。苦手意識があり、不安で、こわいけど、でも、さけて通れないものすごく大事なこと。ポリーの説明するリスクを軽減する様々な方法を聞きながら、自分の将来ケースにおきかえて想像をふくらませてみた。
"あなたの強みが何であるかを割り出して、スキルを持つパートナーを探そう"
"パートナーシップは、リスクを拡散するための優れたオプションである。
 関連分野における他者とのサプライチェーン、仕事をくれるであろう会社、
などからもパートナーを選びましょう。"
"あなたの市場を理解する:あなたがニッチをねらうならば、
あなたのクライアントのニーズはなにか、どんなデザイン、またどんな人間関係を彼らはもとめているのか"
"どうやってコミュニケーションするのか、あなたはほかのビジネスとどこが違うのか"
など....

結局のところ、わたしは数年前からずっとSOLO(一人で働く)ことに興味があり、自分はそう働くんだろうなとぼんやり思っていた。
ぼんやりと描いている未来の姿。私はデザイナーかつライターとして自分の独立したオフィスをもち、SOLOで働きたい。仕事するフィールドは世界中。環境と人々を癒すことができる持続可能な建築のデザインを模索し、なにかしらの解にたどりつきたい。それから、私のみつけた世界中のデザインと人々についての話を、日本語と英語の両方で、スケッチやイラストをまじえながら伝えていきたい、と思う。夢みたいな話だと思う?どうしてだか知らないけど、不可能じゃないような気がするんだ、私には。15年から20年後、きっとできてる。って想像してみると、なんだかとてもハッピーな気分になる。

 じゃぁもっと近い将来のこと。まず建築事務所で仕事をしたい。世界中どこでも…というのはちょっと今の現状では不安なのでまずは、大学院の教育を終える国オーストラリアか、母国に本。この段階ではオーストラリアで働けたらその方がいいかな、と私は考えている。オーストラリアでの建築についてまだまだ知りたいことがたくさんあるし、将来(15-20年後の)ことを考えると英語を話す人との人脈をしっかり築き上げておきたいなと思うと日本に帰るのは時期尚早かなと。それにやっぱり英語をもうすこし上達させておきたい。とくに文章。人がおもしろがって読んでくれるレベルの英語の文章を書けるまでになりたい。だから、建築事務所で働く傍らで、英語の文章にひび触れ、英語のエッセイをどんどんかきため、それから毎日スケッチをして…。そう考えたらやっぱりオーストラリアにしばらく住むのが理想かな。できれば、SOLOの建築デザインのライター/イラストレーターとしてのキャリアを、できれば5年以内にスタートさせたい。5年…いつか自分が自分のこどもを持つ前に、という意味。自分の仕事だけでなく家族ももちたいことから、結局のところ、それが私がSOLOに強い関心を寄せている理由だろう。

私は家族を持ちたいし、私の母が私たちを育てたように子どもをそだてたい。自分が小さな頃を振り返ってみると、そこにはいつも母がいた。教育に熱心な母のおかげで私は、幼い頃から古典や漢詩の世界に触れさせてもらえたし、美術館にも頻繁に足をはこんだし、絵や文章を書くのがとてもすきになった。私にとっての母はバルザックの"Grenadière" - ざくろ屋敷の母に通じるものがある。私がなりたい理想の母親像だと思う。反発ももちろんしたけれども。もし私がSOLOで仕事をまわせるようになったら、自分のこどもと一緒にいながら、仕事をすることができるかもしれない。みらいの自分のこどもがお昼寝してる間に一本エッセイを書き上げる、とか。そんなにうまくいくものか、といわれても私には答えようもないが。まぁなにしろ、未だかつていつども自分のこどもをもって、育てたことがないんだからしょうがない。

様々なキャリアパス、仕事のしかたや、キャリアの積み重ね方がありえる。
だけど正しい答え、なんてないと思う。正しいものも、間違っているものもない。
ただ私は自分にとってよりしっくりくる仕事の仕方につながりそうな機会やチャンスをのがすことなく掴むよう、ベストをつくすだけだ。

最後に他のいくつかのポリーのアドバイスを紹介。

"ソーシャルメディアツールを使用して、無料のマーケティングをする"
"新しいスタートアップの方法である、ブログなどの専門家になる"

"メンター(心の友?助けになる人)をみつける。あなたが夢みている世界で生きている人々を見つけ、彼らの助けを求める。"
"市場機会を探して、どんどん売り込む。"
"適切なタイミングで、適切な場所にいて、よく計算されたリスクを取る。"

さて、まず、私が最初にできることは
このブログをもっとまめに更新していくこと。

それから、チャンスをつかむための準備をいつも万全にしておくこと。かな。

No comments:

Post a Comment